Friday, August 10, 2012



GEORGE STRAIT & REBA- Target Center, Minneapolis, MN

Its not too often that the King and Queen of country music tour together, so when the opportunity came up, I was excited for this shoot! Opening for George and Reba, was Leann Womack, which I didn't get to shoot due to a mix-up with credentials, I didn't get them until Reba was getting ready to go on.  I thought this could have been a great shoot other than the fact that we weren't allowed to shoot in the pit in front of the stage.  The set up for the stage was so the performers could sing equally and face and cover all sections in the Target Center, which would have been perfect if we could shoot in the pit, no such thing!



For Reba we were back almost to the area of the backstage area, which is about 600 feet, I did not have glass that would be able to produce a quality image, equipped with my 80-200.  There were other photographers who were told the same, that we would be shooting this in the photo pit.  There was one photographer who lugged around a 600mm with him on a monopod to every show.  I'm not going to start doing that, as that will be the biggest hassal! If you are a photographer and have lifted one, you will know what I'm talking about!  So I was not able to get a usable shot of Reba, although I have posted a few, they are not up to my standards! Clearances for this show, were out of this world, each artist that you photographed, before any images could be used, would have to be approved by the artists individual publicists, which that would be Reba, George and Leann's publicists! 



I was crossing my fingers that when George came out, we might be in a better position for shooting? Yes we were moved to just in front of the stage area where George would be performing.  This was about 300 feet from the stage, so I was able to get some great images.  There were about four photographers who were approved for this show.  ISO for Reba was at 3200 with shutter speeds around 120-200, George was 1600 and shutter was at 200-300 as George was well lit on stage.  No big lighting shows, to deal with, so learning the lighting didn't take too long to learn. Two spots on George, and the Ace in the Hole Band.  I was allowed to shoot the first 2 songs for Reba and George.

























No comments:

Post a Comment